The backpack has always been quite an essential part of everyone’s life. From carrying books for your college to carrying your belongings while you travel, backpacks do it all. And eventually, your backpack starts to become filthy and smelly due to all the dirt, food and everyday wear and tear. Well if you regularly wipe your backpack then it might keep the dirt away for a while, but your backpack needs a proper cleaning once a while.
How to get started
Washing your backpack actually depends on the size of your backpack, whether it’s too big or small. After that, you can either put it in the washing machine or hand wash it. Besides, never forget to look at the care label before you wash your backpack. That will make sure you do not damage your backpack while washing it.
Most people find it quite difficult to wash backpacks properly, whether it’s hand or machine wash. So here are a few tips to help you out.
How to wash your backpacks without the machine’s help
Well, hand wash can be tricky sometimes. But you can do it real easy with the following steps—
- Make sure you empty your backpack—you might have put so many things inside your backpack and eventually forgot. So before you go ahead and wash your backpack search each and every corner of your backpack. Once you get everything out of your backpack, use a small vacuum and reach out to the corners of your backpack. That will clear the dirt or any small pieces of papers or garbage from the corner of your backpacks.
- Use a stain remover – your backpack may have a lot of stains in it and that might not wear off easily. So before you start washing your backpack, use any premium pre-stain remover. Spray it on the stains and scrub them off with a toothbrush. Let your backpack sit for a while like that.
- Use lukewarm water – It is very important to use lukewarm water when you wash your backpack. Cold water won’t do much good and hot water may make its color bleed. Therefore use lukewarm water and put it in a bath tub.
- Use soap-free gentle detergent – use a gentle and soap-free detergent. That will keep our backpack away from any damage. Soak your backpack in the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Scrub it all – you need to scrub your backpack with a gentle brush. Rub and scrub your backpack, particularly the areas that are dirtier. If your backpack is made of the delicate material, then use a sponge instead of a brush.
- Rinse your backpack – after you finish with all rubbing and scrubbing, rinse it off with lukewarm water. Make sure you do not damage the zippers, straps or the foam areas.
- Drying your backpack – it is important that you do not use any artificial way to dry your backpack. Let it dry naturally, but again, away from direct sunlight. Hang the backpack upside down and keep the zippers open. Let it dry completely.
Wash your backpack in the washing machine
You can also wash your backpack in the washing machine. You just need to follow the simple steps—
- Empty your Backpack – before you go ahead and put your backpack inside the washing machine, make sure you empty your backpack first. Clean all the corners with the help of a small vacuum.
- Use of pre-stain remover – spray some pre-stain removers on any stains you find on your backpack. Rub them gently with a small brush and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Put it in the washing machine – put your backpack inside a laundry bag and then put it in the machine. Make sure the laundry bag is larger than the backpack. When you use a laundry bag to cover your backpack it keeps the straps and zippers away from getting caught in the machine. Add a gentle detergent once the washer is filled with water. Wash the backpack in gentle cycle. Once the cycle is over, take out the backpack from the laundry bag.
- Dry your backpack—well it is easy. Just dry hang the backpack upside down opening all the zippers. Let it dry naturally. Do not expose it to the direct sunlight.
So cleaning your backpack is actually easy. All you have to do is follow the steps I have provided you above. In case you are considering best backpacks for college,